Down the Ballot

Friday, April 26, 2013

Adventures in Politics: Politics & You #24

OHS Archives
My birthday was on Tuesday and I decided to treat myself this week and as I was searching the Book Bin in Salem I found a book I had been looking for quite a while for, it is by United States Senator Richard Neuberger (with assistance from his wife, Senator Maurine Neuberger). I had been looking for this book because inside is an neat Appendix entitled Politics & You. Both of them were serving in the State legislature at the time of this publication. He in the State Senate and she in the State House. As of the time of the publishing in 1954, the Council of State Governments could find no records of any other husband and wife serving along side each other in a state legislature in United States history.



Some of you may be going...who are these people? That's ok. I know, I spend untold amounts of time talking and posting about Wayne Morse and people it seems strain to remember him. Click the links above to read about Dick and Neuberger. They were quite the political team in Oregon. At one time, they represented 15% of the Democrats in the Oregon legislature. Richard Neuberger was quite the author and always had interesting things to say. He was quick witted, smart, and stubborn and spoke his mind. Here now is one of his thirty five tips,

# 21 Must I Be Married?

Single people, of both sexes, have succeeded in American politics. A few observers believe that a dashing bachelor like Senator Warren Magnuson of the state of Washington has been helped at the polls by the linking of his name with those of movie starlets. Perhaps you must be as handsome as blond Senator Magnuson to have romantic conquests result in political advantage! There seem no doubt that a happy family life never hurt a candidate on election day.


Whoa! A little Maggie Love fest here. Magnuson has always seemed to me like the guy who always had a pretty lady at his side. His first wife was a Miss Seattle, and after they divorced he dated a pin up girl! What do you think? Does this advice still hold for the 21st Century?
Post a Comment