Down the Ballot

Friday, December 5, 2014

A Good Start to Merry Treksmas

For whatever reasons I have been buying up more of those Hallmark Star Trek ornaments this year than I have in the last five or six. I think it might possibly be that I let my Trek collection slip the last few years. I don't think I had purchased more than one or two of them in the last three years. It just hadn't been a priority for me. There are lots of better things I could be saving and spending my money on (rent, food, phone bill, healthcare...the list goes on). Still, I decided to double down. I have purchased about 12 of them (none of the new ones) all on ebay and second hand stores.

I was most thrilled to purchase this Q ornament.

It was issued in 2000 and had a Lt. Commander Worf counterpart. Hallmark never issued anymore glass blown ornaments. Perhaps they did not sell well? I was able to purchase this one for 5 dollars on ebay. The Worf one I got at a similar price of $8 dollars.


Most people seem to like the ships. I'll admit to being a bit dismayed at the recent development of the last few years of offering 'exclusive' ornaments at comic-cons. Nothing so irks people with the collecting gene as 'exclusives' that are not really exclusive. Several times they simply repainted an already existing ornament and slapped a sticker or something on the box. Some folks are shelling out 150-200 dollars more for these ornaments.

To each his own I suppose. Here is my full haul from the last month.

I really liked the Future Enterprise ornament. That was one of the better ones of the more recent additions to Hallmark's line of Trek items.

While I am a Trekker, I hold a special place in my sci-fi heart for Babylon 5 and it struck me that WB again lost out another great opportunity to promote and make some money off B5. Where were all the Hallmark B5 ornaments back in the 90s? More proof that the WB had no idea how to promote brands. They put Scooby-Doo on every product under the sun, but couldn't figure out what to do with B5. Ok, that's enough of that rant.






Post a Comment