Down the Ballot

Saturday, January 17, 2015

2015 is Really Here


 Meanwhile Back in 1985...
Doc: Then tell me, future boy, who's President of the United States in 2015?
Marty: Barack Obama.
Doc: Who??
[with a blank look on his face]


2015 certainly isn't what Robert Zemeckis envisioned in Back to the Future II. No commercially available, built for the masses flying or hovering cars yet. The year just started so who knows? 2015 is something of an interesting milestone for me. I will turn 30 this year. Yes, I was born in 1985. I decided that for 2015, will spend some time on this blog this year discussing 1985 and some interesting or important events of the year. While my birth is very important to me, it was just one of many events that year.


Here are some quick anecdotes and comments (maybe even interesting to you) about 1985. 

The internet went from being a tool for educators, government and researchers to being a commercial exercise. The first ever .com was registered in 1985.

Back to the Future hits theaters and is a hit! It spends 11 weeks at #1, despite issues with the roll out and promotion from the view of the creative team of the film.

Michael Jackson bought all those Beatles songs for 47 million dollars. That purchase would easily be over $100,000,000 today (oh yeah, in 1985 Michael Jackson is alive).

 Space Shuttle Atlantis is launched and before it is retired in 2011 it will spend over 300 days in space. 

The FDA approves a blood screening test and due to the AIDS epidemic all blood donations are screened for the first time.

The first WRESTLEMAINIA is put on at Madison Square Garden.

There are lots more I'm sure. If there is something that happened in 1985 you think I should know about, please feel free to leave me a comment. Over this year, I plan to take a look at more, especially the ones that interest me in politics, science, and pop culture areas.



 


Post a Comment